Powered by Blogger.

New Year resolutions: Underrated or underachieved?

 


It's that time between Christmas and New Years where you don't know what day it is and you've not seen a fruit unless it's complimenting your gin. 

I have had chocolate and mince pies more than I can count these past few days and whilst I sit here feeling like a slug, it's made me think about the changes I want to make in the New Year. 

I think New Year resolutions have a bad rep. It is quite predictable that many of us will sign up to the gym on the 1st of January and promptly cancel the direct debit by the 28th. However, I think for some, setting goals at the start of the year is a good way to keep focused. 

There were many things I wanted to achieve by the time I had reached 30. However, thanks to covid I was unable to complete them. Instead of giving them up, I have decided to add them to my resolutions list in hopes I can tick most of them off in 2022. 

I am fully aware some of my resolutions might not be completed, I used to write things such as "be more positive" and "worry less what others think" but that needs to be a long term habit change rather than a resolution. I find the harder the resolutions I made, the more I didn't achieve them.

So my list for 2022 is this: 

- Read more books: I will be doing this more anyway when I finish my uni placement and go back to lectures but I love reading and need to pick up a book more instead of TikTok. 
- Eat less meat: Myself and my boyfriend have already started eating less meat and mainly eat vegetarian at home and meat as treats when out or having dinner at a friends/family's house. It's a small change but hopefully still helping the environment!
- Budget better: this is a BIG one for me. With both me and my boyfriend being students, it's been a shock to our bank accounts since September and I want to be able to pay off debts, go on holiday and have some decent savings eventually. 
- Practise more yoga: I used to practise yoga and meditation so much when I was in my mid-twenties but lately I have just.. forgotten. It made me feel good and positive and is something I am going to bring back into my daily routine. 
- Walk more: I also want to loose weight but that has been at the top of my list every single year. I love going for walks and hope by walking more, the weight will also go. 


So not many resolutions and also nothing too overwhelming. I'm hoping I can keep a good track of each of these and also this blog will hold me responsible for them. 

Are you making any New Years resolutions? If so, good luck! 













1 comment

  1. Great post. One of my "new years resolutions" (I kinda hate the label because it makes it feel like I've failed if I don't do it) is to be a bit more spontaneous and to "make" more memories- it's too easy for me and my other half to spend our day off on the sofa all day when there are so many things we could do and places to explore. But my big thing is to TAKE MORE (nice, not stupid face/filtered) photos!!

    ReplyDelete